• Gases – Nitrogen dioxide, Ozone, Sulphur dioxide and Carbon monoxide
• Particulate matter (PM) – Solid and liquid particles such as soot and dust
What are the effects of Air Pollution on Heart?
• Damages blood vessels, causing them to become narrower and harder leading to increased Blood pressure, Heart attacks
What are the effects of Air Pollution on Lungs?
• Accelerates aging of the lungs
• Decreases lung capacity & function
• Causes Asthma, chronic bronchitis, COPD and lung fibrosis (scarring)
• Increases the risk of respiratory infections like Tuberculosis
What are the effects of Air Pollution on Nervous System and Vision?
• Causes developmental and cognitive impairment in children
• Causes dementia in older adults
• Causes Chronic discomfort, eye irritation & dry eye syndrome
What are the effects of Air Pollution on Metabolic & Endocrine Function?
• Reduces good cholesterol, causes diabetes
What are the effects of Air Pollution on Immune System Function?
• Increases susceptibility to infections.
What type of cancers can Air Pollution cause?
• Blood Cancers (Leukemia & Lymphoma)
• Bladder Cancer & Kidney Cancer
• Liver Cancer
• Skin cancer