What is Cartilage?
Cartilage is smooth but tough flexible connective tissue that helps bone to glide easily for movement. It is a rubber like padding that protects the end of bones that make joints & act as a shock absorber between these joints.
What is Articular Cartilage Damage?
Cartilage has a poor blood supply unlike other tissues suck as skin. Any injury to cartilage causes the underlying bones to rub against one another leading to sever pain & immobility of the joint.
Cartilage Damage generally occurs at the Knee Joint, although the shoulder, ankle and other joints can also be affected from Cartilage Damage.
Structure of an Elbow
Symptoms of Cartilage Damage
- Joint Pain – at rest and when putting weight on the affected joint
- Swelling around the affected joint
- Restricted Joint Movement & Stiffness
- Clicking or grinding sensation
- Difficulty in Climbing Stairs.
Causes of Cartilage Damage
- Traumatic Sports Injury or Accident
- Steroid Injection
- Gradual Wear & Tear
- Sedentary Lifestyle
Stages of Cartilage Damage
- Stages I and II of cartilage damage are early stages. Once cartilage gets damaged, in its place fibrous cartilage (a very poor form of the actual cartilage – hyaline cartilage) is formed which has very poor mechanical strength.
- Presence of fibrous cartilage makes the joint susceptible to further injuries and it becomes very difficult to carry out normal activities like walking, running, yoga and sports. Reduced physical activity will lead to diseases associated with sedentary lifestyle such as diabetes, obesity, hypertension and cardiovascular disorders.
- A stage IV arthritic joint needs to be replaced by Total Knee Replacement Surgery.
Treatment of Cartilage Damage
- Cartilage does not have blood supply and will not heal on its own like a skin injury. Hence, cartilage damage needs to be treated by external intervention.
- Cartilage Cell therapy consists of using the patients’ own cells (autologous) as a therapeutic tool to cure cartilage damage and osteochondral defects.
- Bone Cartilage Cell Therapy is a Permanent Treatment of Cartilage Damage and Knee Pain that regenerate the original cartilage & restores the mobility.
Cartilage Cell Therapy Treatment Procedure
Cartilage Cell Therapy consists of 3 steps i.e.
- Extraction of Healthy Cartilage Tissue
- Tissue Culture (Expansion)
- Implantation of the cultured tissues.