SummaryDr. Praveen Kumar Etta is a consultant nephrologist and renal transplant physician practicing at Hyderabad and has clinical experience of more than 12 years. He practices now at Virinchi Hospitals in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad. He worked as consultant nephrologist at various hospitals in Hyderabad like Asian Institute of Nephrology & Urology (AINU), Asian Institute of Gastroenterology (AIG), Sai Vani Super Speciality Hospital and National Institute of Gastroenterology, Deccan College of Medical Sciences and Princess Esra Hospital, Durgabai Deshmukh Hospital and Research Center, Princess Durru Shehvar Hospital, Dr. Mohan’s Diabetes Specialities Centre, and Ozone Hospitals. He had also worked in Nephrology dept. of Osmania medical college/ Osmania general hospital for one year. He completed MBBS from Kakatiya Medical College, Warangal in 2007; MD – General Medicine from Osmania Medical College, one of the premier medical institute of South-India, in 2011 and DM – Nephrology from the prestigious national medical and research institute of the country, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS), Lucknow in 2015. In 2015, he initially worked as Assistant Professor of Nephrology at Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS), Puducherry, where he was instrumental in starting deceased-donor renal transplantation program and has involved in performing first cadaver kidney transplantation in PIMS.
He is specialized in evaluating and treating patients with all kinds of kidney diseases and is skilled in all procedures related to his field. He has vast experience in managing patients of chronic kidney disease (CKD), acute renal failure (ARF), nephrotic syndrome, diabetes and hypertension related kidney diseases, renal stone disease, and urinary tract infections. He is an expert in all forms of dialysis techniques including hemodialysis (HD), sustained low efficiency dialysis (SLED), continuous renal replacement therapies (CRRT), hemoperfusion, plasma exchange and peritoneal or home dialysis (CAPD and automated PD). He has been involved in management of both live and cadaver kidney transplant recipients, including ABO-incompatible transplantation. He is specialized in all interventions and procedures related to Nephrology like insertions of dialysis catheters – jugular and femoral catheters, permcath or tunneled dialysis catheters, percutaneous peritoneal dialysis catheters and other procedures like kidney biopsies and AV fistula creation.
He has published many research papers in Indian as well as international journals and authored a few chapters in books. He got the best paper award at the XXVI Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Organ Transplantation, at Chennai, India. He is an active member of Indian society of Nephrology & Hyderabad Nephrology Forum. He actively participates in clinical meetings, workshops, training programs, CMEs, CPCs, symposia, seminars, and mortality meetings, etc. He is a member of Medical Council of India (MCI), Indian Society of Nephrology (ISN), Indian Society of Nephrology – Southern Chapter (ISNSC), and Peritoneal Dialysis Society of India (PDSI).
Some of the services provided by the doctor are: treatment for hypertension, protein loss in urine, elevated serum creatinine level, urinary tract infection, and kidney stones; kidney biopsy, peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis, and kidney transplantation, etc.
- MBBS – Kakatiya Medical College, Dr. NTR University Of Health Sciences, Vijayawada, 2007
- M.D. (General Medicine) – Osmania Medical College, Dr. NTR University Of Health Sciences, Vijayawada, 2011
- D.M. (Nephrology) – Sanjay Gandhi Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS), Lucknow, 2015
Awards and Recognitions
- Best Oral Paper Award at the XXVI Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Organ Transplantation, October 2-4, 2015 at Chennai, India, for the paper “Ten year outcomes of HCV infected renal allograft recipients are not inferior to that of HCV non-infected patients.”
- Started Deceased-donor renal transplantation program at Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Puducherry.
- Indian Society of Nephrology (ISN)
- Indian Society of Nephrology – Southern Chapter (ISNSC)
- Peritoneal Dialysis Society of India (PDSI)
- Consultant Nephrologist, Asian Institute of Nephrology & Urology (AINU), Hyderabad, 2016 – 2019
- Consultant Nephrologist, Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad
- Consultant Nephrologist, Sai Vani Super Speciality Hospital and National Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad
- Consultant Nephrologist, Dr. Mohan’s Diabetes Specialities Centre, Hyderabad
- Consultant Nephrologist, Deccan College of Medical Sciences and Princess Esra Hospital, Hyderabad
- Consultant Nephrologist, Durgabai Deshmukh Hospital and Research Center, Hyderabad
- Consultant Nephrologist, Princess Durru Shehvar Hospital, Hyderabad
- Consultant Nephrologist, Ozone Hospital, Hyderabad
- Resident Specialist, Nephrology Dept. of Osmania Medical College/ Osmania General Hospital, Hyderabad
- Senior Resident, Dept. of Internal Medicine, SVS Medical College, Mahaboobnagar, Telangana, 2011 – 2012
- Consultant and Asst. Prof. of Nephrology, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences.
- Bhadauria D, Chellappan A, Kaul A, Etta P, Badri V, Kumar Sharma R, et al. Idiopathic membranous nephropathy in patients with diabetes mellitus: a diagnostic and therapeutic quandary! Clin Kidney J 2018;11:46-50.
- Etta PK, Rao MV. Gas in a renal allograft: think beyond! Kidney Int 2018;93:272.
- Prasad N, Etta PK, Jaiswal A, Sharma RK, Bhadauria D, Saraswat V, et al. Long-term outcomes of hepatitis C virus infected renal allograft recipients. Indian J Transplant 2017;11:35-41.
- Etta PK, Sharma RK, Gupta A. Study of chronic kidney disease-mineral bone disorders in newly detected advanced renal failure patients: A Hospital-based cross-sectional study. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2017;28:874-85.
- Etta PK, Rao MV. Emphysematous pyelonephritis in a renal allograft. Indian J Transplant 2018;12:59-61.
- Bhadauria D, Etta P, Kaul A, Prasad N. Childhood lupus with microangiopathic antiphospholipid syndrome and pulmonary hemorrhage. Indian Pediatr 2015;52:333-4.
- Etta PK, Gupta A, Kaul A, Prasad N, Lal H, Sharma RK, et al.The many faces of infection in a hemodialysis patient. Kidney Int 2014;86:1064
- Etta PK. Posttransplantation diabetes mellitus in renal allograft recipients – Indian perspective. Indian J Transplant 2018;12:75-7.
- Etta PK. Viral nephropathies in renal transplantation with a special emphasis on adenovirus infection. Indian J Transplant 2018;12:233 5.
- Bhadauria D, Etta P, Chelappan A, Gurjar M, Kaul A, Sharma RK, et al. Isolated bilateral renal mucormycosis in apparently immunocompetent patients – a case series from India and review of the literature. Clin Kidney J 2018;11:769-76.
- Praveen Kumar E. Posttransplantation Diabetes Mellitus after Renal Transplantation – A Brief Overview. Int J Transplant & Plastic Surg 2019,3(S1):000S1-004.
- Etta PK, Rao MV. Life-threatening Wunderlich syndrome in a patient with solitary kidney successfully managed by nephron-sparing approach. Indian J Nephrol 2019.
- Etta PK, Rao MV, Gowrishankar S. Collapsing glomerulopathy superimposed on diabetic nephropathy. Indian J Nephrol 2019.
- Granulomatous interstitial nephritis in native kidneys and renal allografts
- Etta PK, Rao MV, Thatipamula M, Gowrishankar S. Renal metastases masquerading as glomerulonephritis. Indian J Nephrol 2019.
- Etta PK. Urinary tract infection in renal transplant recipients – A clinical conundrum. Indian J Transplant 2019;13:1-4.
- Etta PK, Rao MV. Renal allograft dysfunction: An update on immunological graft injury. Indian J Transplant 2019.
- An unusual presentation of an unusual disease: clopidogrel induced thrombotic microangiopathy, successfully treated with conservative approach.
Chapter in Books
- Chapter titled ‘Newer Diagnostic Methods for Peritonitis’, published in ‘Peritoneal Dialysis Primer’, 1 st ed. 2017;380-401.
- Chapter titled ‘Renal transplantation: Immediate post-operative and long term care’, published in ‘Manual for transplant coordinators’, 1 st ed. 2018;157-164.
- Chapter titled ‘Evolution in diagnosis and prevention of rejection: A brief commentary’, published in ‘Articles A Nephrologist Should Know’, 1 st ed. 2019;694-714.
- Chapter titled ‘An Adult Patient with Nephrotic Syndrome’ published in a book ‘Case Studies in Nephrology-A Practical Approach’.
- Invited as faculty for talk on “Potassium balancing act of kidneys and Newer anti- hyperkalemic agents” at ISNCON 2017 held at New Delhi.
- Completed the course on “Parenteral Nutrition in Critical illness: A Current Conundrum”, approved by Federation of Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom.
- Attended many national, regional and local conferences, CMEs.