SummaryDr. Muralidhar Joshi has more than 20 years’ experience in Anaesthesia and Pain management. He received Academic Excellence Award for the year 2010 by the Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists National body. In 2005, he presented a new technique of Percutaneous Epidural Adhesiolysis by Seldinger Technique in failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS) at the 20th Annual National Conference of Indian Society for Study of Pain at Pune and performed the first Epiduroscopy in South India for viewing the contents of epidural space and facilitating adhesiolysis of epidural adhesions. His areas of interest include acute and chronic pain management. In 2010, he initiated an international program in pain management to offer training to overseas doctors from Nepal, Oman, Zimbabwe, Mongolia etc. He introduced the first Android Application in the world on interventional pain management in collaboration with Medicovibes in 2012. He has authored the first Indian textbook on pain management. Currently he is the Council Member of World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists representing Asia. He believes that research-focused environment at Virinchi Hospitals will be crucial to come out with a path breaking discovery, which would be a boon to the world.
- MBBS – Goverment Medical College, Bellary, 1992
- MD – Anaesthesiology – PGIMER, Chandigarh, India, 1995
- DNB – National Academy of Medical Examination, 1996
Awards and Recognitions
- Invention / Development of Equipment, Instrument, Device, Procedure & Development of Special Teaching Aids International
- 2015 – Introduced the First Fellowship Programme on Acute Pain & Chronic Pain in Asian Continent from World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists (WFSA)
- 2012 – Introduced ‘First Android Application in the World’ on Interventional Pain Management in collaboration with Medico vibes.
- 2010 – Initiated an International Programme ‘Overseas Doctors Training Programme in Pain Management’ at Kamineni Hospitals for Oman Anaesthesia Residents National
- Started First ‘Fellowship in Pain Management’ course in 2016 in the country in collaboration with Wockhardt Hospitals, Hyderabad.
- Performed ‘First Epiduroscopy in South India’ in 2006 for viewing the contents of epidural space and facilitating adhesiolysis of epidural adhesions.
- Presented a new technique of “Percutaneous Epidural Adhesiolysis by Seldinger technique in Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS)” in 2005 during 20th Annual National Conference of Indian Society for Study of Pain (ISSPCON2005) at Pune.
- Started an innovative website www.jipindia.org in 2004 where in patients have an interactive page for free consultation online along with public awareness about pain syndromes and management
- Published First ‘Textbook of Pain Management’ in 2004 in India.
- An innovative training tool of ‘E Learning’ incorporated with contact programme of one week was started for the First time in India in 2001. This was done in collaboration with Med varsity, Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad.
Research and Authorship/Editorship/Reviewer/Co-Author of Chapters
- Member, Editorial Board – Indian Journal of Pain, Indian Journal of Anaesthesia, Anaesthesia Tutorial of the Week (ATOTW of WFSA)
- Muralidhar Joshi, P Vijayanand (Contributing Author). Current Status of Tricyclic Antidepressants in Post-surgical, Post-traumatic & Phantom Limb Pain. In Consensus Statement on Role of TCA’s in Chronic Neuropathic Pain in India, Ed Ashok Saxena, Published By Elsevier 2015; 73-79
- P Vijayanand, Muralidhar Joshi (Contributing Author). Drug Interactions of Tricyclic Antidepressants with Various Other Analgesics Used in Chronic Pain & Cancer Pain. In Consensus Statement on Role of TCA’s in Chronic Neuropathic Pain in India, Ed Ashok Saxena, Published By Elsevier 2015; 80-87
- Section Editor (Pain), Anaesthesia Tutorial of the Week (ATOTW), World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists (WFSA) – 2015-2017.
- Member, Editorial Board, Indian Journal of Pain – from 2009 till date.
- Member, Editorial Board, Indian Journal of Anaesthesia – from 2010 – 2018.
- Muralidhar Joshi (Editor). ‘Textbook on Pain Management’, Third Edition.
- Published by Paras Publishing, 2014.
- Muralidhar Joshi (Author). “Hamlet to Hilton” a Fiction (Unfolding of a Risky journey). 2012
- Muralidhar Joshi (Contributing Author). Modern Options for Intractable Pain. In Reviews in Neurology 2011; 9; 173-183
- Muralidhar Joshi (Editor). ‘Pain Clinics’, First Edition. Published by Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi 2011.
- Muralidhar Joshi (Editor). ‘Textbook on Pain Management’, Second Edition. Published by Joshi’s Institute of Pain, 2009.
- Muralidhar Joshi (Editor). ‘E book’ on ‘Textbook on Pain Management’. Published by Joshi’s Institute of Pain, 2008 (First ‘E book’ on Pain Management from India)
- Muralidhar Joshi (Contributing Author). Pain Management and Psychological Aspects. In Principles of Anaesthesia, Ed Satish Deshpande. First Edition, Paras Publishing 2007; 2; 60; 868-878.
- Muralidhar Joshi (Editor). ‘Textbook of Pain Management’ in India, First Edition. Published by Paras Publishing, 2004 (First textbook on Pain Management from India)
Clinical TrialsConducted 4 clinical trials as Principal investigator or Co-investigator as on 30th June 2016
- Delivered one oration, six national presentations and one international presentation as original research work.
- Conducted total 266 Guest Lectures in Medical Conferences – 28 in International conferences; 89 in National Conferences, 24 in State Conferences & and 125 CME’s
- Conducted 26 Public Awareness programmes –12 Lectures, 11 Television shows, and three radio programs
- Faculty for Workshops on Interventional Pain Management (35) – International Cadaveric workshop – 1, International Live Workshop – 4, National Live workshop – 12 & National Cadaveric workshop – 18