Dr Ratan JhaDM, DNB, MD, DTCD (Gold Medallist)
Head Dept. of Nephrology , Sr. Consultant Nephrologist & Renal Transplant Physician , Specialist in Dialysis & Hypertension
Dr Ratan Jha is a Senior Consultant Nephrologist at Virinchi Hospitals with overall 27 years’ experience. Prior to joining Virinchi Hospitals, he worked as a Consultant Nephrologist at Medwin Hospitals for about 23 years. He was Director of DNB (Nephrology) programme at Medwin Hospitals for over 10 years and has been actively involved in patient care activities, teaching and research programs in nephrology encompassing dialysis, transplantation and clinical care.
Dr Jha received his medical undergraduate training from the 1st medical college of the country: Medical College Calcutta & was awarded MBBS degree by Calcutta University. He was awarded Gold Medal for securing 1st position in Diploma in TB & Chest Disease from Delhi University.
Subsequently, after specialising in Medicine, he received MD (General Medicine) Degree from Patna Medical College, a premier institute of north India. He pursued his career in kidney disease at Sanjay Gandhi PGIMS Lucknow, the leading research institute of the country and received post-doctoral degree of D.M. (Nephrology). He received his DNB (Nephrology) degree from National Board in First Attempt and was conferred fellowship by Indian Society of Nephrology in 2011 in Hyderabad.
He has contributed many chapters in several books; gave 70 platform presentations in various national and international conferences; published 68 papers in various national and international journals and attended several workshops on dialysis, CAPD, renal transplantation and clinical nephrology.
Renal Tubular Acidosis, Lupus nephritis, Hepatitis B&C, Acid-Base Electrolyte Disorder are his areas of interest. He prefers doing collaborative research in the field of dialysis and transplant and achieving a path breaking milestone or breakthrough through cost-effective approach in clinical care and collaborative research. He loves teaching training, playing outdoor games and swimming.
MBBS, Calcutta University Medical College, Calcutta
Diploma in TB & Chest Disease, Vallabbhai Patel Chest Institute, Delhi
M.D., Patna Medical College, Patna
D.N.B (Nephrology), National Board of Examinations, New Delhi
D.M. (Nephrology), Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, PGIMS, Lucknow
Authorship/Editorship/Reviewer/Co-Author of Chapters
Chapters in Books
- Management of Childhood and Adult Nephrotic Syndrome. Vijay Kher, Ratan Jha, Contemporary Medicine Vol.1, Gupta & Madan (eds) Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi, 1993.
- Practical Approach to Glomerular Diseases APICON 2016 Medicine Update vol1-chapter49, 237-242
- Biochemical Investigation in Renal Disease – Manual of Nephrology – Ratan Jha, Kiran Chandra Patro- chapter 4- page 54-67.jhapk and Kher V(eds) Jaypee Brothers Medical Publication (P) Ltd, New Delhi, 2016.
- Received a certificate of merit for securing 51st rank in W.B. Board of HS Education from Ministry of Education and Culture
- Awarded 2nd prize in Medical Quiz Contest in Medicine update 1988 held at Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
- Awarded Viswanathan Memorial Prize by Delhi University and Gold Medal by Tuberculosis Association of Indian for securing 1st position in D.T.C.D. Examination
- Awarded B.K. Sikand Memorial Gold Medal by Tuberculosis Association of India for securing First position in DTCD at 42nd National Conference on TB & Chest disease, LUCKNOW 1987.
- Awarded first prize in the FRAGMIN QUIZ CONTEST in the Annual Conference of Indian Society of Nephrology, Hyderabad 1993
- Awarded best paper prize in API 98 for Renal Tubular Acidosis - An enigmatic Disease
- Awarded 2nd prize in Annual Conference of ISN, Bombay 2000 for Perforating Dermatosis
- Awarded first prize in Annual Conference of ISN, Lucknow 2001 in Carnitor Quiz Contest
- Awarded best paper presentation award in APICON 2002 for Primary Hyperparathyroidism –the myths & facts of clinical presentation & diagnostic difficulties
- Awarded Fellowship of Indian Society of Nephrology on 9.12.11 in Hyderabad ISNCON2011
- Awarded 3rd prize in Annual Conference of SISN, Vijayawada 2013 for poster presentation Proliferative Glomerulonephritis With Monoclonal Immunoglobulin Deposits” - Our Experience
- Life Member - Indian Society of Nephrology
- Life Member - Indian Society of Organ Transplant
- Life Member – Indian Society of Nephrology, Southern Chapter
- Life Member - Association of Physicians of India
- Life Member - Indian Medical Association
- Life Member – Peritoneal Dialysis Society of India
Paper Presentations and Lectures
- Mortality Due to Hepatitis B Virus Infection in Hemodialysis – Effect of Vaccination. Ratan Jha, Vijay Kher, Sita Naik, Ravi Elhence, Amit Gupta, Raj Kumar Sharma:J Nephrol, 1993;6: 98-102.
- Acute Renal Failure in the Elderly: Experience from a Single Centre in India. Pradeep Arora, Vijay Kher, H S Kohli, R K Sharma, Amit Gupta, Ratan Jha - Neprol Dial Transplant, 1993, 8: 827-30.
- Rapidly Progressive Focal Segmental Glomerulonephritis. Pradeep Arora, R Pandey, V Kher, N Krishnani, Ratan Jha, A Gupta, R K Sharma - Indian Journal of Nephrology 1992; 2: 147-150.
- Wegener's Vasculitis Diagnostic & Therapeutic Problems. Ratan Jha, Raj Kumar Sharma, Imranul Haq., Vijay Kher, Rakesh Pandey - Indian Journal of Chest Disease & Allied Sciences. 1993; 35: 197-201.
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: An Unusual Cause of Acute Renal Failure. Ratan Jha, V Kher, S A Kale, S K Jain, P Arora - Renal Failure, 1994;16(6), 775-779.
- Prognosis of Adult MPGN: Significance of Clinical Parameters and Therapy, Ratan Jha,‚ V Kher, P Arora, A Gupta PL K Rai, E M Kher, R Pandey, R K Sharma - Indian J Nephrology, 1994,4(3), 53-58.
- Cyclosporine and Survival of HLA Identical Transplants. R K Sharma, Ratan Jha, P.K. Rai, A Kumar, A Gupta, V Kher, S Agarwal, M Bhandari - Indian J Nephrology, 1994; 4(3), 73-75.
- Uremic Pericarditis: Prevention of Complications. M.K.Singhal, Ratan Jha, S K Agarwal, A Gangoo, P Arora, A Gupta, R K Sharma, V Kher, J Nephrol, 1995; 8:113-117.
- Thyroid Hormone as a Modulator of Proteinuria in a Case of Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis - G. Narayan, Ratan Jha, MA Jaleel. Indian J Nephrology, 1995;5(2),57-59.
- Reversal of Leucopenia without Precipitating Rejection in Renal Transplant Recipients with Granulocyte Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor - G. Narayan, Ratan Jha, S. Sahariah, Ram Bhoopal, MA Jaleel. J Nephrol, 1995;8(5);207-210.
- Central pontine myelinolysis following 'slow' correction of hyponatremia. S.Pradhan, Ratan Jha, M.N. Singh, S. Gupta, RV Phadke, V. Kher. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 1995, 97 340-343.
- Visceral Leishmaniosis in a Renal Transplant Recipient. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Problems. R.K. Sharma, Ratan Jha, P. Kumar, Vijay Kher, A. Gupta, A. Kumar, S. Gulati, P. Arora, M. Murari, M. Bhandari. Am J. Nephrol, 1996; 16:358-360.
- Clinico-pathological Determinants of Outcome in Childhood MPGN - P Kumar, Ratan Jha, P Arora, S Gulati, P K Rai, S Gupta, A Gupta, R K Sharma, V Kher. Indian J Nephrology 1996 6(1), 14-18.
- Brain Abscess in Renal Allograft Recipient - Difficulties in Diagnosis and Management - Ratan Jha, G Narayan, M A Jaleel, K Satyanarayana, M Srinivas, V N Mathur - Journal of Association of Physicians of India, 1997, 45(6), 488-89.
- Subdural Haematoma in Patients on Haemodialysis - Report of two cases - Ratan Jha, G Narayan, M A Jaleel, K Satyanarayana, M Srinivas - Indian Journal of Nephrology 1997, 7(2), 75-78.
- Successful Treatment of Deep Vein Thrombosis in Renal Transplant Using Dalteparin as demonstrated by radionuclide venography – Jha R, Kumaresan K, M A Jaleel, NarayanG, JAPI, 45(12),1997,984.
- Secondary Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis Associated with Urological Abnormalities. Sharma R K, Jha Bhatia V L, Kapoor R,Gupta A.Nephrol Dialysis Transplant.1997,121(1),233. 1998-2003
- Emphysematous Pyelonephritis Successfully Managed by Medical Therapy - Ratan Jha, K Subba Rao, M A Jaleel, R Subba Rayudu, G Narayan, K N Prasad, JAPI, 240-41, Vol 46; 2, 1998.
- Pulmonary Infections after Kidney Transplantation. Ratan Jha, G Narayan, MA Jaleel, S Sinha V Bhaskar, G Kashyap, BRS Rayudu, KN Prasad JAPI, 1999, 47(8),779-783.
- Granulocyte Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor (GM-CSF) Induced Seroprotection in End Stage Renal Failure Patients to Hepatitis B in Vaccine Non-responders. R Jha, S Lakhtakia, MA Jaleel, K Hemlata - Renal Failure 23(5), 629-636, 2001
- Superior Efficacy of Shanvac -B as a Hepatititis B Vaccine in Dialysis Dependent Patients. Ratan Jha, Sundeep Lakhtakia, Girish Narayan, K Hemlata, Indian Journal Nephrology 2001; 11(4), 170-172.
- Opportunistic Infection Following Renal Transplantation – K Hemlata, R Jha, G Narayan, S Sinha – Indian J Medical Microbiology Jan, 2002
- Symptomatic Herpes Virus Infections Post Renal Transplant. Jha R, Narayan G, Sinha S, Prasad KN. Transplant Proc. 2003Feb;35(1):284-5.
- Pulmonary Infections after Kidney Transplantation: Impact of Prophylaxis. Sinha S, Jha R, NarayanG, Bhaskar BV, Rayudu RS, Hemlata K Transplant Proc.2003 Feb; 35(1):287-8.
- Acute Pancreatitis following Renal Transplant – Role of Viral Infections Sinha S, Jha R, Lakhtakia S, Narayan G, Clin Transplant.2003Feb;17(1):32-6. 2004-2009
- Renal Infarction in Antiphospholipid Syndrome. R Jha, S Sinha, J Kumar, D Bansal, P C Gupta, Indian Journal of Nephrology 2005; 15: 17-21
- Growth Hormone Therapy in Chronic Kidney Disease .Muthukrishnan J ,Jha Ratan, Kumar Jagadish, Modi KD , Indian J Nephrology182-184,17(4):2007
- Vitamin D Replacement Therapy in Tertiary Hyperparathyroidism with Vitamin D deficiency: Is there Any Reason for Being Overcautious. Muthukrishnan J, Jha R, Modi KD, Jag dish P Kumar .Indian J Nephrology, 187, 17(4):2007
- Glycaemic Control in Patients of Chronic Kidney Disease. KVS Hari Kumar, KD Modi,Ratan Jha, Int J Diabetes devctries,27(4)99-103,2007
- Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis Due to Primary Hyperparathyroidism Muthukrishnan J ,KVS Hari Kumar, Ratan Jha ,Sangeeta Jha, KD Modi.,. Endocr Pract. 2008;14(No. 9),1133-1136
- Symptomatic Primary Hyperparathyroidism: A Retrospective Analysis of Fifty One Case from a Single Centre Muthukrishnan J, Jha Sangeeta, Modi KD, Jha Ratan, Jagdish Kumar, Verma Abhyuday, Harikumar KVS, Patro Kiran, Srinivas B, Kumaresan K, Ramasubba Rayudu, JAPI,2008,56,503-507
- Vitamin D Therapy and Reduced Mortality in Chronic Kidney Disease, Hari Kumar K. V. S Kirtikumar D. Modi, Ratan Jha, ARCH INTERN MED/VOL 168 (NO. 18), OCT 13, 2008,2045-46
- Conns Syndrome – Atypical Presentations KVS Hari Kumar, Sangeeta Jha, Ratan Jha, KD Modi Saudi – Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation 2009;20(2)
- Inherited Renal Tubular Defects with Hypokalemia Muthukrishnan J, Modi KD, Jagdish Kumar P, Jha Ratan. Saudi Journal of Kidney Dis Transplantation 2009; 20(2):274-277
- Visual Vignette Neuroblastoma Adrenal Mass in A Young Boy Hari Kumar, KVS, Jha S , Jha R, Modi DK. Endocrine Practice 2009, 15 (3), 278
- Acquired Perforating Dermatoses in Patients with Diabetic Kidney Disease on Hemodialysis - Hari Kumar KVS, J Prajapati, G Pavan, A Parthasarthy R Jha KD, Modi , Haemodialysis Int2009, 14(1)73-77. 2010-2015
- Acute Patchy Cortical Necrosis following Renal Transplantation in a Case of Sickle Cell Trait – An Unusual Cause of Renal Allograft Dysfunction Shekhar Shiradhonkar, Ratan Jha, Srinivas R Bopparaju, Girish Narayan ,Sanjay Sinha ,Swarnalata Gowrishankar., Indian Journal of Nephrology 2011,21(4),286-288
- Pregnancy Predisposes to Rhabdomyolysis due to Hypokalaemia J Muthukrishnan, KVS Hari Kumar, Ratan Jha, KD Modi, Saudi Journal of Kidney Dis & Transplant 2010, 21(6):1127-1128.
- Clinical Profile of Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis Ratan Jha, J. Muthukrishnan, Shiradhonkar Shekhar, Patro Kiran, KVS Harikumar, KD Modi . Saudi Journal of Kidney Dis Transplant, 2011,22(2),261-267
- Collagenofibrotic Glomerulopathy – A Case Report with Review of Literature K. C. Patro, R. Jha, M. Sahay, G. Swarnalatha. Indian Journal of Nephrology 2011,51(1),52-55.
- The Right-sided Syndrome - Congenital Absence of Kidney and Testis. KVS Hari Kumar, B Srinivas Rao, S Sekhar, Ratan Jha ,G Narayan, KD Modi Saudi Journal of Kidney Disease and Transplant, 2011,22(2),315-318
- 17-a-Hydroxylase Deficiency: An Unusual Case with Primary Amenorrhea and Hypertension Sunil Kumar Kota, K. D. Modi, Ratan Jha, Surya Narayan Mandal Indian Journal of Endocrine Metabolism 2011,15,127-129
- The Culprits behind a Hyper-intense Spleen. Gude D, Bansal DP, Chennamsetty S, Jha R. Asian J Transfus Sci 2011; 5:186-7.
- Dressing up to Phenytoin Dilip Gude, Sashidhar Chennamsetty Ratan Jha, Rajitha K, Indian Journal of Pharmacology 2011,43(5),617-618, Stalwart Approach to Stall Wart. Indian Journal of Palliative Care Dilip Gude, Ratan Jha, and Sashidhar Chennamsetty - Indian J Palliative Care – 2011, 17(2): 168–169
- Tackling the ‘brown’ frown. Ratan Jha, Dilip Gude, Suryanarayan Mandal, Ramasubbarayudu Batta Clinical Kidney J 2012,5(2),176-177.
- Malignant Hypertension in a Young Male: Sequelae and Salvageability Dilip Gude, Ratan Jha, International Journal of Clinical Cases and Investigations 2012, 1(1), 30:35.
- Non-nephronal Haematuria Masquerading as C1q Nephropathy: Look before you leap.Surya Narayan Mandal, Ratan Jha, Rana Fatima, Swarnalata Gowrishankar Indian J Nephrology 2012, 22,3, 206-209.
- Reversible Dialysis-dependent Renal Failure due to an Undiagnosed Renovascular Disease R. Jha, D. Gude, G. Narayan, S. N. Mandal, P. C. Gupta indianjnephrol, 2012,22(4) ,314-317
- Acute Kidney Injury Following Cardiac Surgery – Dilip Gude, Ratan Jha Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia 15:4, 257-262,2012
- Primary Amyloidosis Treated with Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis – letter to the editor Gude D, Chennemsetty S, Jha R, Narayan G. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transplantation 2012; 23:12
- ABO Discrepancies – Peeling the Camouflage off – Dilip Gude, Aslam Abbas, Ratan Jha International Journal of Clinical Cases and Investigations 2012, 4 (4), 9-11.
- Story behind the Wrinkle Ratan Jha, Dilip Gude, Sanjay Sinha, Indian J Nephrology, 2012,22(6) ,482-483
- APLA in post-partum renal cortical necrosis- Another skeleton in the closet SJKDT, Dilip Gude, Sashidhar Chennamsetty ,Ratan Jha, BS Rao. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transplantation 2013; 24: (1):141-143.
- Emphysematous Pyelonephritis: A Single Center Study. R. Fatima, R. Jha, J. Muthukrishnan1, D. Gude, V. Nath, S. Shekhar, G. Narayan, S. Sinha, S. N. Mandal, B. Srinivas Rao, B. Ramsubbarayudu. Indian J Nephrol, 2013,23(2),119-124.
- Light Chain Myeloma with Myeloma Cast Nephropathy – An Important Cause of ‘Ortho-Renal’ Syndrome with Diagnostic Dilemmas. R. Jha, D Gude. International Journal of Clinical Cases and Investigations 2013, 5 (1)3-10.
- Intracranial Hypertension: an Unusual Presentation of Mucor Mycosis in Kidney Transplant Recipient. R. Jha D Gude, S Chennamsetty, H Kotari.indianjnephrol, 2013, 23(2), 130-32
- Transverse Myelitis in APLA negative SLE. Dilip Gude , Sashidhar Chennamsetty, Dharam Pal Bansal, Ratan Jha JIMA2013,111,6,406-407.
- Deciphering Alport’s Syndrome Dilip Gude, Sashidhar Chennamsetty, Ratan Jha Saudi Journal of Kidney Disease & Transplantation 2013; 24(2):376-378
- Another Face of Type-1 diabetes. Dilip Gude, Sashidhar Chennemsetty, Girish Narayan, Ratan Jha 2013, 24(3):598-599
- Non-hemorrhagic Dengue Fever with Rhabdomyolysis Ratan Jha, Dilip Gude, Sashidhar Chennamsetty Saudi Journal Kidney Disease & Transplantation 2013; 24(6).
- Multiple Cysts in Kidneys – A Case Report K. V. S. Hari Kumar, Ratan Jha, S. Shekhar, K. Sunil, K. D. Modi SJKDT2013, 25(1) 126-129.
- Fathoming Uric Acid Nephropathy, Dilip Gude, Sashidhar Chennamsetty, Ratan Jha, SJKDT2013, 24(6) 1259-1261.
- A Single Arm, Prospective, Open Label, Multicenter Study for Evaluation of Efficacy and Safety of IV CERA for Treatment of Chronic Renalanemia in Dialysis Patients not Currently Treated with ESA .Georgy K. Nainan, Vivek R Pathak, Sonal S Dalal, Sanjiv Saxena, Dinesh Mittal,T Ravi Raju, Gokulnath, Rajan Isaac, MM Rajapurkar‡, DS Rana#, Bharat V Shah$,Deepak S Ray, CM Thiagarajan^, Ratan M Jha, Anil A Kukreja, Rupesh R Pophale, JAPI , 2014, 62, 119-123.
- Proliferative Glomerulonephritis Associated with Monoclonal Immune Deposits – A Case Report with Review of Literature Rana Fatima, Ratan Jha, S Gowrishankar, Girish Narayen, B. Srinivas Rao. .indianjnephrol, 2014,24(6),376-79
- Raised Cardiac Enzymes in Sepsis with Renal Failure: An Encompassing Umbrella Or A Masquerader? Dilip Gude, M AW Zubair, Aslam Abbas, Ratan Jha, Hina Mohiuddin. Journal of the Scienti?c Society, 2014, 41, 2,140-142
- Primary Hyperparathyroidism: A Changing Scenario in India Sangeeta Jha, J Muthukrishnan, Aman Jha, Ratan Jha, KD Modi, Jayant V Kelwadee, . Indian J Endocrine Metabolism 2016; 20:80-3.
- Post Renal Transplant Hepatitis C Infection Treated Successfully with Drug Combination Ledipasvir and Sofosbuvir –Ushering a New Era of Safe, Simple And Effective Antiviral Therapy: A Case Report with Review of Literature Ratan Jha, Rana Fatima, Sundeep Lakhtakia*, Aman Jha#, P Srikant, Girish Narayan, -IJN,2016,26, 217-19